Friday, December 09, 2005

Gonna chase my dreams and catch up to them


A few years ago, I had to make a decision. “Do I want to get good at fixing things or do I want to get good at fixing people? I can’t do both.” I weighed out the pros and cons of each side and decided I would prefer to learn to fix things.

I decided that things were better to deal with professionally because they don’t have emotions. I can forget about them and come back whenever I want. Things are more intellectually progressive (for me) than people, and they are usually more useful. I feared that a career dedicated to fixing people would consume me and not allow time for a family or anything else. A career dealing with things was much more likely to be a 9-5.

Since then, I’ve been slowly becoming a thing expert, confident that I made the right choice for me. From time to time, I look back and wonder if I should have done it differently. Last night was one of those nights. I can’t remember the last time I felt this vulnerable or even this afraid. Basically, my sister had a serious reaction to some strong antibiotics prescribed by her doctor for a urinary tract infection. After the infection cleared, she developed something else. After being uber sick for over a week, the doctor decided she needed a colonoscopy. Translation: he had no idea what the hell was going on. Things went from bad to worse, and I was helpless to do anything. Finally, I called a doctor/friend and in 60 seconds knew the problem and necessary medication with 95% assurance. All it took was that tiny piece of information, but it was a piece I didn’t have and couldn’t logically deduce on my own.

So right now I can say that I do regret the decision to take the direction I have. I know there will be more days like this. Yet l also know that on most days, I’m grateful I didn’t take that direction. I think I’ll always be torn like this as I will always have a problem with being vulnerable. I need to accept the fact that no one is completely impervious. Everyone has weaknesses, and sadly, so do I.

8 comments:

JB said...

That demotivator is AWESOME. Made me laugh, anyway.

Also, there may come a time when people who fix people really need to fix things too. And fixing people you're related to can be tough and complicated and if you don't do it right--even if you couldn't have--you'll always blame yourself.

You've gotta do what you've gotta do, right? Besides, you've got at least one friend who seems to be able to help with the "fixing people" thing. ;)

Laulau said...

Seems like you're pretty good so far at both, to me. Things can only get better, right?

yaj000 said...

fixing things helps fix people at their leisure. Thats why I chose to fix things.

Also the fact that to fix people you have to be in school forever ;)

Tolkien Boy said...

Linus once said, "There is no heavier burden in the world than great potential."

At very least, you have the resources available to you to do both, and you know how to access them. A lot of people couldn't say the same.

ambrosia ananas said...

Scary. Glad you were able to help your sister, though, by contacting your friend. You may not be able to know everything, but if you know enough people, it works out to be nearly the same thing.

Saule Cogneur said...

I appreciate your comments all. It is a nice consolation to know that though I can’t do everything, I have friends and relatives who can.

I ended up having to take my sister to my friend on Friday. No profession, title, or profession is void of incompetents. I’m tired of relearning this lesson. I don’t think the first doctor would have got my sister killed, but he certainly put her through weeks of unnecessary pain. Not a good thing with finals just around the corner or ever for that matter.

JB said...

Sorry, SC. I've had a few not-helpful doctors...but I don't think they've ever caused me pain, either...

azurerocket said...

I like that song.