Saturday, June 03, 2006

Caution on the road lies lies and hidden danger. Southern California's breeding mommy's little monster.

Last week I noticed movies were on sale at Hollywood Video, 5 for $20. Though it was impulsive, I figured I’d take a chance. How can you argue with $4 a movie? Here’s what I picked:

Closer
I Heart Huckabees
A Mighty Wind
Garden State
Big Fish

I’ve never seen the first three, but they seemed to have possibilities.

I’ve wanted to see Closer since it came out a few years ago. Critics gave decent/good reviews, and Natalie Portman and Clive Owen received Oscar nominations for their parts. A week ago, I watched it in my self-made home theatre. On a scale of 1 to 5, the film hits a 3 (1 being average, Goodwill Hunting being a 5, 12 Monkeys a 4, X-men a 2). Closer has four characters, a female stripper, a female photographer, a male doctor, and a male writer. Among the above actors, Jude Law, and Julia Roberts, can you guess who plays who? The plot is a heterosexual, love diamond, but the focus is on Jude Law. As Time Magazine reviewer remarked, it’s an adult sex movie without sex. Unfortunately, I can’ recommend anyone see it. In fact if you ARE thinking about seeing, I would discourage you unless you’ve spent at least 100 hours in a male, high school locker room. Is it that explicit? No. It’s beyond. If you DO see it and ARE able to see beyond the dialogue and STILL appreciate the movie's message, you win my respect. That said, if you actually ENJOYED it, I'm afraid you are too perverse for even me (but you can have my copy of the film, I'll sell it otherwise).

Last night was I Heart Huckabees. Coincidentally, Jude Law is in this one too. I think it’s a movie I’ll watch about once a year. Dustin Hoffman and Lily Tomlin are Existentialist Detectives who “solve” the related problems of their patients. If you like artsy movies, you’ll like this one. I do suggest you skip the sex scene however. It’s less graphic than the one in Thank You for Smoking (which wasn’t at all graphic), but it’s also…well...a scene that involves sex. A half naked man? I don't want to see that.

Easy Target - Mark Hoppus

2 comments:

Tolkien Boy said...

i (heart) huckabees has one of the most awkward sex scenes I have ever seen in my life.

And I've seen a few. It's a good show, though...even better when you watch it on the big screen in a classroom in a unidentified but highly conservative large university in Utah county.

Tolkien Boy said...

i (heart) huckabees has one of the most awkward sex scenes I have ever seen in my life.

And I've seen a few. It's a good show, though...even better when you watch it on the big screen in a classroom in a unidentified but highly conservative large university in Utah county.