Monday, October 10, 2005

I'll kick and scream or kneel and bleed. I'll fight like Hell to hide that I'm giving up.

An engineering problem is an engineering problem, right? A degree is a degree. That’s what a lot of employers will tell you once you pick your discipline. Nope. At least not according to grad schools.

After researching ten different grad schools, I’ve learned that even after you divide the schools like EE, ME, ChemE, CE, Computer Engineering and so on, you have M.S.E., M.S.(EE, ME, ChemE), and ME(EE, CE, ChemE, ME). You’ve also got fifty different Ph.D’s. My dad thinks I should be careful not to go interdisciplinary because I might water down my degree. He has a point, but like I said before doesn’t understand how little I care about chemicals. Dr. Solen said that ChemE’s get paid about $20,000 more when all is said and done, so as always I’ve go plenty to stew on this week. Fuel cell research is looking good, but I guess that in the end, getting into the school I want is more important than whether I go ME or ChemE. Which of the two programs at each school do I apply to? I’m tired of thinking about this crap. I think I’ll go sniff chemicals.

1 comment:

yaj000 said...

You could apply to two programs at the same university. They normally allow multiple application with one application fee.

I am myself applying to multiple programs (CSE,ECE).
I have to disagree on watering down the degree. At an undergraduate and even Master's level, it is good to have interdiscplinary education. At least thats what I have learnt. It opens up more doors than it closes.
Just my two cents.