Sunday, March 19, 2006

The notes are old, They bend, they fold, and so do I

V is for a lot of things I guess.


I saw the matinee yesterday, and here are a few thoughts:

Overall, I liked the movie. It definitely had the George Orwellian feel, like Gattaca, Equilibrium, Fahrenheit 451, etc. One main difference, however, was the film's affinity for the word “terrorist.” On the MTV special, Hugo Weaving said he felt that the movie was a direct critique on the Bush administration while Natalie Portman said it was more of a general “get people to think” sort of movie.

I don't fully agree with either opinion. The movie didn't cause me to pose that many questions, certainly not any new ones. Protest through violence, justice through death, and the concept of redemption irrelevant. A sad world, but one worth discussing. The movie had a few unclear points. It could be a Matrix Reloaded thing ("it’s not confusing, you just missed a few things"), or it could be that the movie simply didn’t want to take the time to explain the less significant points.

As always, the previews are worthless. Among the three scenes with V slashing/stabbing bad guys, and only the final one is bloody. Maybe two or three “f” words and only a few other regular curse words. No sex and only a couple allusions. A few appropriately disturbing images of dead, naked bodies strongly resembling in those of Night and Fog. I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of unnecessary mature content.



**************SPOILERS*******************
Did V burn down the place or did he simply survive it. Why was he the “key?” The destruction of Parliament didn’t seem that important. Why did the government torture homosexuals instead of executing them on the spot? Why did #2 need V to kill #1(the chancellor).

1 comment:

Th. said...

.

I haven't seen it yet, but in the world of books, I liked V better than 1984 and almost as much as Brave New World. It's been too long since I read Farenheit 451 to compare.