Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Round here, we're carving out our names. Round here, we all look the same.

So phase two of midterms has past. Synopsis: Mike is officially smarter than the average BYU chemical engineer. As I’ve mentioned before, my strengths are stamina, complexity, and thinking well. Though these qualities are helpful, tests require other skills, thinking quickly and answering easy questions that are so fundamental, you can’t reason through them, two capacities I have yet to properly develop.

My Kinetics test went well, 139/150 with a 126 class average More time would have got me another 5 points at least. On the Thermo test, 64/70 on the difficult computational problems 14//30 on the quick conceptual ones. 78/100 with a 76.6 class average. I had plenty time, but I simply misread one problem and misunderstood the other.

Another example of my follies. As many of you know, I hope to call myself a man someday. One thing men don’t do is give up. So here I am, it’s 11:30pm, and I’ve already lost an hour purely from trying to solve the final part of a hw assignment. It just doesn’t fit. I cannot figure out why I can’t get the right answer. I’ve tried everything, and I keep going. Now, it’s man vs machine, I will NOT concede defeat. 12:30 rolls around, and I start getting somewhere. Finally, arrive at the solution, but MathCad keeps giving me the raspberry. Still, I feel I have won the moral battle by 1:15 when I head home. It’s about 2:35 when I finally fall asleep. I’m up by 7:15 the next morning, and in my lab by 7:40. I work on the problem a little longer. Still no final answer.

Then I go to class. “Hey Bobby. Did you get 6-14b on the homework?” “6-14b? We didn’t have to do that one. It was 6-14d we had to do.” Yes ladies and gentle men, it took me 2 hours to figure out 6-14b because I wasn’t supposed to know how to do it.

And that is why no man will ever love me….oh wait….

2 comments:

Laulau said...

Isn't it romantic to be a die-hard? I think so.

Tolkien Boy said...

Except, of course, if you're Romeo or Juliet. In which case you die easy.