Saturday, August 05, 2006

I got static in my head. The reflected sound of everything, tried to go to where it led, but it didn't lead to anything.

After three months, I finally made good on my promise to RCW and attended a Mariner's game. Unfortunately, I was unable to bring Biotech Girl along, but even alone, sport spectating is quite fun. The beautiful stadium, the cheering, team colors, the $4.00 bottled water, it's all great. Baseball is more chill than other sports, and I think it gives a person more time to kick back and let the game's atmosphere soak in.

This evening, Tennessee Girl invited me to come with her and company to an outdoor movie. It's like a weekly Renton sponsored family night. Tonight we all brought pillows and blankets and laid on the grass to watch the 15' presentation of Back to the Future I.

When Michael J. Fox's nose is 4 feet long or his coffee mug is the size of a bed, you notice things you may not have seen before. Tonight, I got a really close view of "the look." Not just from Emma Thompson, but also from Marty's girlfriend. I'd say she does it even better, and in truth, I'm rather disturbed.

If a bad actress can do a good simulation of "the look," why not any regular person? Are there no guarantees at all in love?

I don't think so, but I don't think that's bad. Most humans crave stability and reliablity, yet many of those same people crave drama, which is almost the opposite. I think this contradictory nature stands on the idea that love, though needing stability, also needs passion. Passion is easily found in drama, necessary or not . I would be a hypocrite to frown on people who sincerely like drama.

I'm never passionate about my functioning truck or an accurate oxygen sensor or a content family member. I am passionate about unlocking my door, debugging a GC, or finding the best way to stuff a group of thermocouples into a reactor. I confess that I find more excitement in having/solving problems than being happy that I have none.

On a related note, it sure is nice to sit back and laugh with another person. The Mariner's game was fun, but really, without some one there with me, it was just a bunch of middle aged men swinging sticks at balls of string. Life is too short to sit back and constantly watch others live it.

Tomorrow Tomorrow - Elliott Smith

1 comment:

yaj000 said...

Ah! I was at Safeco Field last year around this time. Good memories with friends. Great weather and good crowd at the game.

I agree that people seek drama in their lives. Life can get too boring if you live out the ideal perfect happy life. Life is like a thrill ride, you got to go up and down. You just have to balance out the ups and downs, such that you dont't get thrown out when you are at those extremes.