Wednesday, August 16, 2006

These relics of remembrance are just like shipwrecks, only they’re gone faster than the smell after it rains.

25 is a special number for me today.

In its honor, I shall recount, in no particular order, 25 events and items worth remembering from my summer.


1 500 g bottle of L-glutamine consumed
10 lbs gained
1 authentic Seattle Uitilikilt received as a gift
1 Columbia Titanium Grade Jacket purchased
400+ hours acquiring/tuning man skills
4 months first-hand exposure to/interaction with “the other side.”
1 Nude cyclist event attended
1 1996 Tacoma broken and entered
1 Fender 8G – ES acquired
1 Old friendship reborn
2 Friendships deepened
1 Tire repair kit reluctantly purchased
1 Stack of clothes disposed of
2 Mountains partially hiked
200 miles ridden via bicycle
60 miles run via a pair of New Balance 1006’s
4 Books purchased
2 CDs ordered
1 Life perspective overhauled
3 Single friends lost (and 3 Married friends gained)
1 Longboard given to GoodWill
1 Small stack of clothing trashed
1 Relationship reluctantly ended
1 POS fleece given to GoodWill (Sentimentalism should be used sparingly. The past easily turns to excess baggage.)

I don’t have any regrets, but there are a few things I wish I’d done. There’s always a few “shoulda, coulda, woulda’s.”

My Spanish project never took off. It’s not necessary for the FBI, but it would be nice to have. Luckily, I still have a few years to learn it. It’s too bad I wasn’t able to find/make more opportunities to get to know Biotech Girl. She was really cool. I should have started voice lessons as soon as I got to Seattle rather than waiting a month, but I still had time to improve significantly. I should have made more time for temple outings; I wish I had.

I have another year to do better, and hopefully, another 75 after that.

So Long Astoria - The Ataris

6 comments:

Cinderella said...

Happy Birthday!! :)

ambrosia ananas said...

Hope you have a great birthday.

JB said...

Sounds like you've been busy. Happy Birthday. :)

Laulau said...

Happy 25th!

yaj000 said...

Happy 25th...one more year for me to get there.

How do you handle the "shoulda, coulda, and woulda's"? I guess the only way is to focus on what got done? :).

I enjoy reading you blog, but never get around to commenting.

Best wishes, as always.

Saule Cogneur said...

Guru: There comes a point when you have to accept that the world moves on with or without you. You can whine and complain that things aren't how they "should" be, or you can move with the current.

And really, swimming against the current is impossible to do for very long anyway.