Tuesday, August 08, 2006

See the man with the lonely eyes, take his hand, you'll be surprised.

Over the course of the summer, I’ve befriended a kid in my ward. B1 is intelligent, quiet, enthusiastic about the church, yet extremely unsure of himself. Since I came out to Seattle, he’s been trying to decide if he should serve a mission. Unlike a lot of 19 year-olds, I think he grasps the magnitude of that decision. The significance of the temple endowment; the commitment it involves. “Duh!! EVERY worthy young man should serve a mission. There’s nothing to question…” But see? There is. It’s rather naïve to base one’s life decisions off the council of an authority figure, even if you do trust him/her. If there are any decisions that merit divine confirmation, this choice is one of them.

What does a person do when no answer comes? I know I’ve mentioned the dilemma before, but it really is a serious one. The answer to that question is very telling about a person’s true beliefs and desires. Many of the typical Mormon answers lead in to a self-sustaining circle, and though many don’t realize it, when you enter this circle, there is no need for God at all. He could disappear completely, and nothing would change. It’s a difficult trail, and I feel bad for my friend. He has no family support, and from what I can see, not a lot of social support either. I think missions can be a great thing, but they can be a terrible thing too. I think B1 will be alright, but he first must consolidate who he is, who he wants to be, and who he thinks he should be. Many people give up before they hit that point; I hope he won't be one of them.

Give a Little Bit - The Goo Goo Dolls

No comments: