Friday, July 28, 2006

And I am throwing away the letters that I am writing you, 'cause they would never do - I would never do.

I like the idea that no one is alone. It's something I've tried to perpetuate among my close friends for a long time. I have laughed with them, and I have suffered with them. Everyone has their low moments, and during those times the physical presence of another human being can do wonders. (Not always obviously, sometimes solitude really IS best.) Often having someone present to put their arm(s) around you and tell you truthfully that things will be okay is all it takes to make life tolerable again.


The problem I am running into now is that most of my friends have left Provo; I have left Provo. I can't be there when they need me, and it's frustrating as hell. The phone or even IM, is a nice consolation, but it's not always enough.

There is something in me that is never satisfied when it knows more could be done. The internal difficulty arises when that "more" is unreasonable. Even though it's possible, I can't really just trot over to Indiana or Utah or wherever for the evening when a friend is on the verge of breaking down. No matter what I do or where I go, I will always have friends who are too far away to visit, and my ability to comfort them will always be severely hindered.

So maybe people are alone after all. Regardless of outside help, their personal battles are their own. Friends have the capcity to ease the burden, but tonight, it's simply not enough.

Saints and Sailors
- Dashboard Confessional

2 comments:

yaj000 said...

I completely agree with your viewpoint in this post.

I do feel a sense of insecurity sometimes that I am loosing even my close friends because of the geographical distances. But life goes on.

I feel comforted by the fact that inspite of the distances, that we can call each other after a gap of six months and still catch up on life.

That said, you should never forget birthday's of friends. It is one day in the year, the excuse of "Life is busy" is not valid. Even a phone call is good assurance that you exist to even care. :)

I thought that you were returning to Utah. If so, at least you will be able to catch up with few friends you know in Provo.

Tolkien Boy said...

In my experience, most people are comforted when someone goes out of their way, whether that be physically or by means of an IM or phone call.

But you're right, most of us have to meet our own demons by ourselves. Unless, of course, God helps out.