Saturday, July 15, 2006

I’m trying to find truth in words , in rhymes, in notes, In all the things I wish I wrote…

Horray for me!!! Utah now legally possesses my loyalty. On the bright side, I officially have no need to worry about tuition.

Friday evening I went with a couple co-workers and company at an outdoor presentation of Hamlet. Despite the scent of various burny things (weed, beef, charcoal, yeast, etc.), the play was awesome. The style was surprisingly humorous, and the performers were sarcastic. Hamlet reminded me of Ben Stiller and Claudius like John Malkovich. The costumes seemed to come partially from the Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet, partially from DI. We sat in lawn chairs in a lake-side park right before sunset; it was awesome.

My co-workers had to bring along their newborns, and it made dinner surprisingly enjoyable. Babies ARE cute, but there was something more. The look in the eyes of the new parents struck me. I noticed a sparkle I’d never seen before.

Right now, the two social forces in my life are that of my LDS co-workers/church-related friends and that of MSU/non-LDS colleagues. I like both groups, but the contrast in their ideologies is significant. The latter feels very much, "Do your own thing. Relax. Do what makes sense. Don't let people push you around. Use your brain. 'Kids?' Meh. Another way for people to feed their egos." In contrast you have the LDS, "Follow the Lord and be a good person. Raise a righteous family, and find happiness in all that you do." In spite of the logical and physical consistency and in spite of all the intelligent ideals the non-believing world preaches as reality, I have never seen in them the level of content and sheer joy that I saw last night.

I'm ready I am - The Format

2 comments:

editorgirl said...

I'm having a difficult time putting "Saule" and "Babies" in the same thought, let alone the same blog post.

But I would like to point out that the real thesis of this post is that you miss me.

Saule Cogneur said...

Too true.

Girls love babies. After holding one of them for a while, my date was like, "Do you want a turn?" "Thanks, but babies still terrify me; I might break it."