Saturday, July 01, 2006

Well I made my way back down to the valley, right on past 83rd street that's where we once belonged, but I'm gone. I swear I'm long gone.

As a few of you know, I am sad today. I feel that there is one realization I should document as it came from a conversation with TB.

I'm not the type to wallow in self pity…If it could change things, I would however. No amount of suffering can change the past… and it's unfortunate because we humans can take a lot of punishment, so the only thing we really lose by our mistakes is each other…I don't think there is anything sadder.




I can agree. But part of the whole deal is learning how to hurt other people and yet keep moving. That sounds mercenary. But we definitely hurt people a lot without meaning to.


In context of such thoughts, I’ll comment on Nartuo, a Japanese Anime/Manga. Yes, please make all the jokes and stereotypes you like. I’m as weird as they come anyway. In this particular series, Naruto is a young ninja who wants to be the greatest ninja that ever ninjaed in all the history of ninjaing. Complicated, huh? Partway into the series, Sasuke, Naruto’s best friend, reluctantly accepts that he is too weak to defeat his older brother who murdered their parents. In order to get stronger, Sasuke abandons his village to join forces with the series’s uber-villan. Naruto pursues his friend and despite his very best efforts, fails to bring him back. This example is one of hundreds reflecting the central theme of the story.

Perseverance. The part I appreciate about the novel are those very failures. In their losses, the characters find no romantic consolations or cheesy booby prizes, only doorways back to the world that knocked them to the ground, bloodied and broken. The fools of the series are the snobs who insist their talent will bring them victory without blood. The sneering, gifted underachievers always lose in the end, good or bad. Cliched triumph? Read the manga and let me know.

Returning to the shurikenless reality, you read all the time in kiddie literature, “He wouldn’t quit, even when they covered his body in papercuts and threw him in lemon juice. He kept going…” Now little student/sunbeam/subordiant butt-kisser, what must we do? “PERSEVERE!!! YAYYYY!!!!!!” Consequently, EVERYONE perseveres.

I must ask, “perseverance towards what?” Really, the question is not so much what the word means, but what it means to YOU. Money? Fame? Education? Frivolty? Love? Respect? It's a question for the ages. I'll get my own figured out someday; that's a promise:)

Give it Up - The Fomat

3 comments:

Thirdmango said...

Whoa, someone has joined me. I've become a Naruto fanatic, though i didn't suspect I would, but it's actually quite good. Then I broke down because I wasn't egtting my anime fix and read all of the manga, the first one I've ever read. But yes, I agree, just look at the Naruto/Gaara fight. Whoa, now that's perserverance. Anyways, good to have you aboard, so then my question is. Have you only watched the anime or haveyou read the manga or both. If you have not watched all of the anime, I do have it all up to this point, though I haven't watched the fillers.

Saule Cogneur said...

3M: I've seen a few of the anime episodes on CN, but I read the manga up through chapter 311. I don't usually have the patience for Anime unless it's comercial free, and even then I get irritated at the fillers. The graphic novels, like regular books, are always better at capturing the emotion driving the story than the TV version.

Tolkien Boy said...

Whoa. I sound wiser on your blog than I do in real life. How is that possible?