Sunday, July 30, 2006

Maybe it's trite but I can always be wrong. Try not to be wrong.

The front that I have any common sense continues to fade.

I drove down to a Discount Tire Co. (from whom I bought my tires from a year ago) 5 miles from my apartment. After talking to a mechanic, I walked back to my truck to drive it into the shop. Suddenly, I notice my keys are not where they belong; they are still in the ignition, windows up and doors shut tight.

With widened eyes and a pit in my stomach, the gravity of the problem sunk in. I didn’t know the exact location of the spare key at home. My roommate was deaf, and I didn't have his phone number. I'd recently the charity card on my only friends out here, and harassing them on a Saturday night was out of the question. Five miles wasn't too far to run, but I had no house key and no compass to ensure I keep going the right way. I called a local towing company, and they quoted $50 and 20 minutes to arrive. The garage had no tools for getting in locked doors, not even a coat hangar or wire.

Holding to the Hitchhikers' Guide motto, I gave myself a minute to calm down and decided to try plan Z, "Mike's sheer abilities vs the elements." After staring at my doors for a few minutes, I formulated a plan. I had to pry open the top edge of the door and find a way to roll down the window. The shop could only offer a couple 14" breaker bars and some paper towels to assist my cause.

Wrapping one of the bars in a paper towel I slid it in through the top door corner and worked it downward until I'd bought myself a half an inch. Slowly tapping it to the left and inserting the second bar, I made a quarter inch gap at the top centerline. Unfortunately, the window lever was two feet down, and I had to pull it UP (as opposed to pushing it DOWN which is much easier). Looking around for something long and skinny, I unscrewed my antennae. "What else?...." The antennae was no good for pulling and too flexible for leverage. I found a 2' piece of twine in my truck be and fastened a loop to the end of the antennae.

Though the garage had closed, one of the workers stuck around to help me. I laid on top of the cab, poking, probing, and trying to move the window lever while the garage-man pulled down on the small window gap to decrease resistance in the lever. It was a great sight as testified by a small group of onlookers randomly hanging out in the parking lot.

A half an hour later, we'd succeeded! The onlookers cheered with almost patronizing enthusiasm. I raised my fists and cheered back; that night, both my absent-mindedness and genius merited recognition.

Ender Will Save Us All - Dashboard Confessional

4 comments:

Tolkien Boy said...

And you were down on yourself for not being able to change a tire in ten minutes?

Hmmm.

Saule Cogneur said...

Down on myself? Maybe, but never in the way you think. Actually, my truck has been the only amusing part of my life all week. I don't consider my comments self-depreciating. To me, they are quite the opposite; I use them to keep from taking myself too seriously.

editorgirl said...

Ten points for "patronizing enthusiasm." It describes most of my interaction with the outside world.

Another ten for Dashboard. We should trade music when you return to Utah.

Sarah said...

um, i think you will make a very fine jack bauer/jason bourne for the FBI - you are already showing an ability to save the day with the random objects found around you. you are pretty much amazing.