Saturday, July 22, 2006

What's the point in going 'round when it's a straight line baby, a straight line down?

I've been taking voice lessons for a while now. One thing I have had to focus on is my range. I've been trying to consistently hit the G# an octave below middle C. Instinctively, I try to hit the note without scales. I figure, "G# is the note I need, so there is no reason to waste my time with A or B flat."

At work, I need to get five thermocouple probes into a three inch peace of 1/4 inch SS tubing, and then seal them with epoxy. The direct route is to shove everything in place, assemble my reactor, and pour in the epoxy last.

At the gym, I'm trying to get back to reping 225 on the flat bench. I seem to have no reason to go straight to that weight and go at it.

Reality is not so kind. I can't hit G# because my A and B are not always strong. Epoxy is not viscous enough to oppose gravity, and I'll never get anywhere starting at 225 because I can't get out more than three reps when fresh.

Impatience is my greatest weakness. My teacher constantly reminds me that I must ease down into the lower notes using scales. I must stabilize A before I go lower. My boss reminds me that you have to let epoxy partially set up to increase viscosity. He also suggests I first plug the bottom of the tube with silicone caulk. Most professionals say you can build strength more efficiently when you keep your rep range from 4 to 6. 200 or 210 is a much better weight to build from.

Rarely rarely rarely is the effective solution the one closest at bird's eye view.

The First Single - The Format

No comments: