Thursday, July 06, 2006

You just don't seem to see I've been waiting all this time to be something I can't define.

Tuesday marked a paradigm shift-I started my FBI application.
I had not desire to be an engineer this week.

Don’t get me wrong. I still love my job, and the challenges, and the subject matter, and the people, yet when I go home, my day doesn’t wind down, it begins. I am free but not interested in relaxing. I have to get to the "important things."

Henry Erying Sr. once said that who you are is defined by what you think about when you don’t have to think about anything. I cannot deny my nerdiness. If you look at my bookshelf, you’ll find only one love story and little fiction, yet if you ask me about vapor-liquid-liquid equilibrium, I’ll change the subject even if you know more about it than I do. I realize that few people are scientists twenty-four seven; even the engineer’s engineer wouldn’t dream of discussing numerical solutions with anyone who wasn't paying him to do so. Maybe I'm not different after all.

What what do any of these comments have to do with th FBI then? The FBI focuses on people. It focuses on doing, discovering, and finding. When I go to sleep at night, I find my day at work, good or lousy, never reflects any feeling or any thought. My job makes me happy, but it doesn’t make me tick. I doesn’t drive me; it just keeps me going.

What then? Jack Bauer? Agent Mulder? Jason Borne? It’s a good question. At this stage in my life, I can say that had I not served a mission, I would have joined the Marines. It wouldn’t have been a career, but I would have gladly sacrificed four years of my life for the experience (full knowing that “experience” could get me killed). Now why would I do that? Why on earth would a person WANT to join seemingly deranged organization lead by a president no one can stand? All I can say is that I was cut from a different cloth than most people. The FBI may provide a way to join both worlds.

The First Single - The Format

4 comments:

eleka nahmen said...

The FBI! How noble! Truly I can see you doing such a thing. I know what you mean about doing something that drives you - you can be in a profession that, while paying well and providing stability, fails to impassion you in the slightest. Or, you can do something that makes getting up in the morning worthwhile, that at the end of the day makes you feel like you matter.

So many wishes of good luck to you in this :)

Sarah said...

I think you would make an amazing Jack Bauer! :)

Laulau said...

Exciting! Good luck on it!

yaj000 said...

My advisor would often tell me that there are no tv shows about engineers. There are all the shows about CIA, doctors and lawyers, but nothing about engineers.

The world needs more engineers!