Friday, July 14, 2006

The things we do are never gonna change, the things we do are never gonna cha-a-ange.

Blog Worthy Posts: the three year old deaf boy, singing with my head voice, the pressure of the "perfect" mother, Play-It-Again Sports, Toni Morrison

Too many topics, too little time.

On Wednesday, I finished my panel, and it was time to punch holes in the enclosure for the outgoing wires. Hydraulic punches are the best tool for this task. I've never used the things before, but they consist of only a hydraulic piston and a carbon-steel, screw-driven punch. How hard can it be? Trial 1 fails, so without hesitation, a fellow intern and I perform on-site disembowelment to find the problem. After blankly staring at the tool for five minutes and replacing the seal, we got it working. The Company Builder arrived in time to give us a few more tips, and I was ready for Trail 2. I positioned the punch and begin to pump the piston lever to turn the drive. I encounter more resistance than expected but figuring I have never used the tool before, I continue.

As I near what feels like the endpoint, CB notices my biceps are straining to finish the job, an unusual event indeed:) "Mike are sure you set it up right?" "Yeah, I'm pretty su..."

KABLAMERS!!!

Sparks and shrapnel all over the place. My senses recalibrate, and I quickly check my body for new holes. Luckily, I can find no puncture wounds. Looking around hoping not to see severed appendages or bleeding co-workers, I catch only a few concernced stares. Whew.

The accident wasn't actually that bad, but still, I continue to feel God must prefer I keep my body in one piece a little longer.

Every time I screw up at work, I keep a memento. I'm slowly building a collection for my wall of shame- a shirt with multiple two inch acid-burnt holes, shattered ceramic tiles from exploding peroxy-acetone, rusted sheet metal, a papers towel - all good stories, all filled with valuable lessons. These relics serve as reminders that I must always keep my mind in the present. Right now, there are no body parts on that wall, and I'd like to keep it that way. Still, I have at least two years left as an engineer; I can only hope fate will continue to smile upon me.

The Format (again)

3 comments:

Tolkien Boy said...

Glad to hear that you didn't damage those enviably straining biceps.

Saule Cogneur said...

Oh TB, no one but you has ever cared about them. But I am happy to report that they will continue to combat the tyranny of malfunctioning tools for decades to come.

Akasha said...

Quelque blogs, sometime blogs. I laugh at this.



KABLAMERS! DESTRUCION!