Friday, May 05, 2006

He got to the heart of the matter and lingered...

Today I had my first official work meeting (two of them actually). The first was with the Advanced Development Group of six engineers and three interns. Smiley Intern and I were asked to present a project plan for our work for the next three and a half months. I presented my ideas much like I used in our research group meetings at BYU. I was advised to have more structure and a time frame for my itemized goals. Polish Boss promised me that if I would focus on the broad basics, the complex details would quickly fall into place. I’d like to disagree, but you know what? This guy is a lot smarter than me; I should probably trust him.

At lunch, I went to the company meeting will all forty employees. We sat around, and the CEO highlighted the recent events and contacts with other companies, the entrance of former friend into our “sand box” and the benefits of foreign employees and contracts. There was then a short presentation on chapter 9 of “Built to Last,” a book on being better at business. One of the sales guys headed up the presentation talking about principles like, “Good enough is never enough.” Apparently, I have to always be on the look out to make the company better, never being content, etc, etc. Honestly, it wasn’t too bad. I like my boss, and I like the CEO. All things considered, I think this place is a fantastic place for a people hating cynic like myself.

Honestly, it’s the structure of the business world, not the people, that bugs me. I hate the emphasis on production and schmoozing, yet, I do believe it is a necessity if you want to make any money. Blech.

But even more blech is the four slices of Pizza Hut pizza and two hot wings I ate after the meeting. Those people cram too much oil in their crust. I think I’ve had my fill for at least another year.

1 comment:

yaj000 said...

Schmoozing!
Unfortunately it seems that BSing is the only way to climb the corporate ladder or for that any career ladder. Even academia/professor politics involve BSing.