Wednesday, May 17, 2006

I'm learnin' to fly, around the clouds. What goes up, must come down.

I did it!!!! After years of waiting, I finally spent $45+ on a tank of gas, and yet…I somehow feel zero satisfaction. Can’t imagine why.

I finally went on my first real bike ride for the summer. Guess what? My legs feel like legs that haven’t biked twenty miles since last August. Again, can’t imagine why.

This townhouse I live in is located in a subdivision of sorts. This sub-division happens to have a small half-court and basketball hoop. I don’t know if you guys know this, but basketball hoops sing to me. They beckon my presence. As of the past few years, I haven’t had the time or the means to heed their call, but now it’s different. A couple weeks ago, I purchased a ball and began to re-hone my “skills.” (By “skills” I mean my ability to chuck the ball in the general vicinity of the hoop in hopes that it will connect with something other than the ground). So tonight I finish my bike ride and decide that it’s still too early to go inside. It’s like 9:40pm, and I’m out doing my thing. There is no sports commentatering at this point and little dribbling as I am mostly throwing air balls because my legs have forgotten how to do anything but buckle. Nevertheless, five minutes later, from OUTSIDE the gate. I hear an irritated, “SOME of us are trying to sleep!!” Now, my natural instinct is to respond, “So?” and go on my merry way, unfortunately, I have rules. “Never cross annoying busy-bodies you KNOW their true power.” Tomorrow, I shall find out, and tomorrow night, I shall tell said nuisance that if she wants my compliance, she’d better damn-well make it harder for me to keep my language acceptable in a PG movie.

Learning to Fly - Tom Petty

No comments: