Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Who's to say that we won't fade to gray? Who are they anyway? Anyway they don't know.

Where there’s traffic, there is home. Every time I get lost, I just point my car in the direction of the densest traffic, and I’m on my way home.

Goatee Guy is a good fellow. He was born only able to hear loud, blurry noises. Now he does all kinds of work with deaf and/or blind people. He uses a live TV-phone translator to “talk” to people when he calls them. Today I learned that he can communicate to some blind people through touch signing. He and Nice Mom don’t eat red meat and like to cook soups and sushi.


NM is lonely I think. Her internet-based SO lives in England. It’s serious enough that she may move out there permanently at the end of this year. Last June, she finished a bachelor’s degree in women’s studies and hasn’t found a job since then. Now, most of her time is spent at home talking on the internet. I don’t know if she has many friends out here. Because GG is mute, she may go long periods without hearing a human voice. I can see how it could be hard on her. Without trying, I am already giving off the “if I wanted you to know I’d tell you” vibe. I feel bad, but what am I supposed to do? I spent the entire day reading about cryogenic engineering, looking up patents on the catalytic oxidation of Volatile Organic Compounds, and explaining to a physics major co-worker the mechanics behind isenthalpic Joules-Thompson valves. There’s not much in there that I can share beyond, “My day was good. I have a big stack of papers and books to read so I can get on my feet.” Admittedly, I can at least spend a few minutes to be friendly (despite having zero desire to do so)
.

SC is doing alright. NM has told him to treat the place like his own, but SC isn’t used to living in immaculate, unbelievably quite dwellings with a lonely woman who affectionately calls him “kiddo.” He likes having his evenings to himself, but as expected, he misses NCG, RCW, EG, and a surprisingly large number of others. Right now he still has the option of going to Purdue; the offer appeals to both sanity and vanity.

Something is again missing. That void means he continues to grow up and move on with his life.

As for my job, it’s awesome and very much like graduate school, lots to learn and lots to solve. I’m a little nervous because I’ve been given real responsibility and real stuff to learn/contribute. These are the moments where you know it’s time to sink or swim. Yes, you are still wearing a life jacket, but personally, I’d rather go out guns blazing than cower and try to wait out the storm.

1 comment:

Claire said...

I love random switches to third person. Sounds quiet out there, but I'm sure you'll keep yourself busy with work. My apartment is quite quiet (anagrams anyone?) since PRgirl went home for a bit.